Some friends and I were talking the other day about pregnancy side effects that have stayed with us after giving birth. While pregnant, these side effects were a little annoying and somewhat humorous. Now, they’re just down right frustrating! Why is it that no one ever talks about the lingering side effects after pregnancy? Everyone is always focused on the sweet baby you’re going to give birth to. Obviously the most important part. But let’s be real, it’s not all sunshine and lollipops after giving birth! Months, even years later, we still have subtle (or not so subtle) reminders of our pregnancy days.
Here are some of the common side effects that have stayed with my friends and I post pregnancy.
1. Weakened bladder. Gone are the days where I was able to hold it, even for a little bit. I swear, I used to have a bladder of steel. Not any more. When I’ve got to go, I’ve got to go, NOW! If I’m forced to hold it, (because let’s face it, there is always a line for the women’s bathroom!) you will find me totally uncomfortable, doing a ridiculous potty dance like my 3 year old! Oy!
2. Pregnancy brain…now turned to mommy brain. I actually think this has gotten worse! Quite often I walk into a room with full intention of doing something and when I stop to do that something, I can’t remember what I was going to do. At times I feel like I am losing it! Ahhhh!
3. Clothes don’t fit right. I don’t know about you, but I never felt like pregnancy clothes fit right. Many times I found myself trying on clothes questioning if in fact they were made for pregnant women! (Yes, I was shopping in maternity stores.) Although I am back down to my size prior to being pregnant, clothes just don’t fit the same as they used to. My body has changed and I carry my weight differently. Shopping used to be fun, now it’s exhausting and frustrating!
4. Acid reflux. If you didn’t have this symptom during pregnancy, be thankful! I never had a problem with acid reflux until I was pregnant. Now, I can’t eat certain foods without dealing with a lovely burning sensation for a few hours after. Ugh!
5. Not only did my stomach grow, but my butt did too! Thank goodness my stomach has gone back to normal because my backside is looking like a Kardashian! Some of my friends have the opposite effect, their butt went back but they are having to deal with that lovely baby pooch. Whatever side effect has lingered with you, I feel for ya!
6. I’m an emotional wreck! I get emotional and cry over the stupidest things nowadays. Anything having to do with having babies or kids growing up, forget it. Pass the tissues! When did I become such a wimp?!
Luckily, I love and adore my kids more than anything. Otherwise, I would be mad as hell having to deal with this shit, instead of just slightly irritated. (OK, I’m a little more than slightly irritated!) Everyone has different variations of these side effects that have lingered after pregnancy. The good news is, you’re not alone! We all have little gifts left over to remind us of our warrior baby making days! So the next time you are doing that potty dance in line for the bathroom or can’t remember where you put your sunglasses, (hint, they’re on top of your head) just remember how amazing these little miracles are and how amazing you are for embracing all the extra gifts that come with being a Mom.
Live, Laugh, Love,