Since this week marked the official start of fall, (even though it doesn’t feel like it in SoCal) I decided to share my recipe for chicken tortilla soup. I love to cook and make yummy foods for my family and friends. This recipe is one of my favorites and is always a hit! It’s easy to make, delicious and hearty. Perfect for fall weather! Enjoy!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 cup corn ( I like to use fresh corn off the cob)
- 1 cup hominy
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1.5 lbs shredded cooked chicken (I like to use boneless chicken thigh)
In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion until tender. Add garlic and cook stirring frequently for one minute. Stir in chicken, chili powder, cumin, tomatoes, lime juice, broth and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans and cilantro. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Top with: fried tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.
What’s your favorite fall soup? Share with us below!
Live, Laugh, Love,