It truly amazes me how easy it is to make my 3 year old happy. It really doesn’t take much to put a smile on her sweet face. And boy do I love to see that pure genuine smile! From eating a snack on the front patio to dancing while Daddy plays guitar, this kid sure knows how to enjoy and appreciate the little things!
Here are 7 simple things that make my 3 year old happy:
1. Getting a sticker from anyone. It could be from her dance teacher, the checker at Trader Joes, or the nurse at the doctors office. It doesn’t matter where the sticker came from or what kind of sticker it is, this kid is on cloud 9 upon receiving one! For the rest of the day she has to show everyone her sticker, including me several times. I don’t get it, but hey, I’m glad you get so excited about a little cutout with some tacky stuff on the back! It makes me happy watching how excited she gets from getting a sticker.
2. Bubbles. Bubbles are magical and playing with bubbles brings my daughter pure joy. Whether she is running around squealing while popping them, or blowing bubbles for her little sister to pop, she is having an amazing time. Watching her get so excited about bubbles gets me a little excited about bubbles too. (Shhhh! Don’t tell anyone)
3. Pressing buttons. Whether it be the start button on the washer, the button to open the garage door, the buttons on an elevator or the crosswalk button, this kid is beyond excited to push it! She always has this look on her face, like she’s so cool because she gets to push a button. Sometimes I will mess with her and pretend like I’m going to push the button first, boy does she get upset! It’s actually pretty hilarious the obsession kids have with pushing buttons! (Unless you’re on an elevator with a kid who decides to push EVERY button…Then it’s not hilarious!)
4. Jumping in puddles. Whenever it’s raining (which isn’t much here in SoCal) she runs to the window and starts jumping up and down saying, “Let’s go jump in puddles! I LOVE jumping in puddles!”. She gets so excited to go outside and get soaking wet. And I mean SOAKING wet! She goes and finds the biggest, deepest puddle on our block and will splash right in the center of it. Then do it over and over again, laughing and squealing the entire time. She truly loves every second of it! I don’t know about you, but getting soaking wet when it’s cool outside is not my idea of a good time. But I must say, it’s a lot of fun to watch her!
5. Feeding the dog. When you ask if she wants to feed Franco, she jumps up so quick! She loves feeding our dog. She picks up the dog bowl and tells him to sit and stay. She fills the dog food by herself, and after putting the bowl down tells him “Go get it!”. If you feed the dog without letting her know, she is going to be one very upset little girl! This has become her job and she looks forward to it everyday.
6. Going to Costco. This kid gets so excited when she learns that we are going to Costco! On days that I tell her we have errands to run, she will always ask, “Are we going to Costco?”. If we aren’t going to Costco, she is genuinely bummed out! She loves everything from showing our card to the person manning the front entry, to trying all the samples, to getting a smiley face drawn on our receipt on the way out. What’s not to love, right? All I can say is that I wish I loved going to Costco as much as she does!
7. Chocolate. This kid LOVES chocolate! I mean really, what’s not to love? Any time she gets a special treat it is usually something chocolate. Her face lights up, her eyes grow big and her smile is ear to ear! Watching her devour chocolate is one of the greatest things ever! It ends up all over her face and she constantly says “Mmmmm”. Man now I want some chocolate!
This is just a small glimpse of the list of simple things that make my 3 year old happy. I have so much fun watching her light up and get excited over life’s little moments. Oh, to be a kid again! It’s a great reminder that you don’t need much to be truly happy!
What are some simple things that make your kids happy?
Live, Laugh, Love,