My sweet BIG girl,
I can’t believe how fast 4 1/2 years went by. Not so long ago, it seemed as if we had all the time in the world before you started school. It seemed as if the long nights when you were a baby, the tantrums in your two’s, the dreaded Threenager stage, and the special time I got to spend at home with you would last forever. But it doesn’t. Every stage in life comes to an end, and brings new beginnings. A chance to make new memories, to do better, to learn more and to appreciate the present, because time flies!
Up until this point, you have been at home with me. Although I’m a bit sad that you’re growing up so quickly and our time together at home is coming to an end, I’m so excited for you. Today is the beginning of the rest of your life and there are so many adventures, experiences and learning opportunities out there just waiting for you!
Life outside our little bubble of family and friends is different. I hope that I prepared you for that. You are going to meet new people and have new life experiences. I hope you take every opportunity that comes your way and you embrace the unknown. Have faith in yourself and confidence in your abilities; the rest will fall into place.
Today, as you start your new adventure in school, there are a few things that I want you to know:
- Life as you know it is changing. You’re starting school! You are going to have someone other than me, your Dad, or one of your grandparents taking care of you. It might be a little bit scary but most new things are. Don’t let that deter you from new experiences. Put yourself out there. It’s OK to be uncomfortable once in a while. As long as your aren’t doing anything dangerous or bad, putting yourself in uncomfortable situations creates growth and learning opportunities.
- Remain true to your own self! There will be people throughout your life who will try to tell you that you aren’t good enough, cool enough, smart enough, fast enough, pretty enough; don’t listen to them! Do whatever makes YOU happy. Stand up for what you believe in. Be strong, be brave. Be the best version of yourself. If people don’t like you, it’s their problem, not yours. Never ever change who you are for anyone.
- Be kind, always. Don’t be a bully, stand up to them. It’s easy to get caught up in catty gossip, and making fun of others when you’re in a group, but don’t. Always think of other people’s feelings and how your words can impact them. Trust me when I tell you that it isn’t “cool” on any level to be a mean girl.
- You WILL come across mean kids/people. It’s inevitable in life. If someone is being mean to you, try not to take it personally. It’s not always easy but trust me, these types of people are not worth another thought. Most of the time, their issue isn’t even really with you. Hold your head high and don’t let negative people influence they way you see yourself or others.
- Dream BIG and don’t be afraid to fail. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. You can do anything you put your mind to! Fear of failure is one of the most common fears and it holds people back from accomplishing their dreams. Don’t let your fears of failing come between you and your dreams. If you do fail, try again.
Good luck today my sweet girl. I know you are going to be just fine. I can’t wait to watch you continue to learn, grow and become the best you, you can be! I will be there every step of the way cheering you on and encouraging you.
Your proud Mommy