This post, as with any KnowMom! post, may contain affiliate links. But don’t worry, I’ll spend the money on something important; like new rims for my daughters power wheels.
Creating a bond with my girls is somethings that’s always been important to me. With all the distractions in life, it can be easy to lose sight of the importance of doing things together as a family.
A strong family bond creates a sense of security for kids. It also helps build confidence, self-esteem and a positive demeanor. So how do you create a strong family bond?
As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words. It’s easy to tell our kids that we love them, but it’s not always easy to put that love into action. Especially when we’re busy with work, running the kids around, and keeping the house in order.
No matter how busy life gets, it’s important to take the time to show our kids we love them. Spending time together and creating a strong family bond is a great way to do that.
Putting your love into action doesn’t have to be hard, and should be fun!
Here are 25 easy ways to strengthen your family’s bond:
- Let the kids pick dinner: Once a month let the kids choose what they want the family to eat for dinner. It might be one of their favorite home cooked meals, or pancakes. Either way, this makes for a fun family dinner.
- Family Movie Night: Pick out a family friendly movie and make a fun night with snacks and treats. Go all out! Dim the lights and pretend you’re at the movie theaters.
- Work on a goal together: Working towards and reaching a goal is not only rewarding, but will teach your kids many valuable life lessons, and will bring your family closer together.
- Surprise your kids with a trip or fun activity: Plan out a trip or activity that your entire family will enjoy. Then surprise your kids the night before or day of.
- Play a silly game: There is nothing that bonds a family more than laughter. Get a game like Pie Face Showdown and prepare for some serious belly laughs.
- Cook a meal together: Decided as a family what you are going to make. Go grocery shopping together and give everyone a job. Your kids will have so much fun having the responsibility of helping make dinner, they may even eat everything on their plate!
- Play in the Sprinklers: (Yes, you too mom and dad.) My husband and I did this with our girls last summer and had a blast! Our girls got such a kick watching us run around while getting soaked. To this day, they still ask when we can all play in the sprinklers again.
- Go to a concert: There is something about live music that bonds people. Whether it be your kids favorite artist or a local cover band, get out there and experience live music with your family.
- You lead, I’ll follow: Allow your child to plan a family outing. It should be something that you don’t do every day, like go to an amusement park, or a museum.
- Try something new: Whether it be a cooking class, or a new sport, experiencing something new as a family opens up conversation and creates lasting memories.
- Video Chat with your kids when you’re away: This one is so important. When one or both parents is gone for any extended period of time, it puts a kink in our child’s world. Seeing your face while having a conversation helps ease the stress of being away from mom and dad.
- Go on a family hike: It is great to get out doors and explore nature. You don’t have to hike for miles. Taking a walk outside and talking about what you see, is a great way to forget about life for a bit and focus on family. 25 Ways to Strengthen Your Family's Bond Click To Tweet
- Camp out in the living room: Put up a tent or build a fort and have a camp out. Your kids will love this one!
- Look through old family photos/videos: To this day I love when my parents pull out the old family videos. It is so much fun to look back at our life (and poor outfit/hair choices).
- Read a chapter book series together: Pick a series your kids will enjoy and take turns reading aloud to each other.
- Have a YES day: Allow each child one YES day per year. On that day, you have to say yes to ALL of their requests (within reason). They want ice cream for breakfast, sure. They want to get a new toy, OK. A YES day will be a huge hit! (obviously)
- Volunteer: Spend your day at a local food bank or collect clothing for the homeless. Volunteering is a positive experience that will teach your family the value of compassion, giving, and thankfulness.
- Get Crafty: Crafting is a great way to boost creativity and is beneficial for both you and your kids.
- Take your child to your favorite place: Sharing something with your kids that has meaning to you is a great way to bond!
- Eat a meal together daily: Whether it be breakfast or dinner, it’s so important to have at least one family meal a day. This is a time to regroup as a family and find out what’s going on in each other’s lives.
- Have a water gun/balloon fight: Your kids will have a blast trying to get you wet. There are so many cool water guns and balloons now days, this is one of our family’s favorite summer activities!
- Start a bonding book: Each person takes turns leaving something in the book that the other can read privately. It can be a drawing, note, memory, etc. It will be fun to look back and see what was written over time.
- Hold family meetings: Whether you meet once a week or once a month, this is a great way to talk with your kids, let them know what’s going on in your life, and let them help make decisions that affect the entire family.
- Create a new tradition: Nothings bonds a family more than tradition. Create a tradition that your kids can pass down to their own families one day.
- Forgive Each Other: Life is too short to hold grudges. Sit down, talk it out and move forward. Your family ties with be much stronger if you can learn to forgive each other’s mistakes.
The idea is to carve out time to learn, grow, and bond as a family. You don’t have to spend a fortune, or be super creative. If you are doing things as a family while having fun, that’s the most important part!
What are some things that you like to do to strengthen your family bond?